
Where were you on 9-11? Each year on this date I think back on where I was and how much has changed since that horrific morning. On 9-11 I was teaching middle school English to 8th graders at a new school. I took a leave from the county that I was with for nearly 12 years. I just wanted a change and decided to pursue a position within the county I lived. You see I taught in the next county, about 40 minutes away from my home. This new position I was only about 8 minutes. At this schoool we didn't start school until 9:25 a.m. and let out at 3:45 p.m. so I was in my classroom putting out our new novels and listening to the Today Show on TV. All of a sudden there was a breaking news story and I walked next door to the math teacher to see if I was watching something odd. We were standing there watching the news on his TV when we actually saw the second plane hit the other tower! My mouth dropped in shock. I couldn't believe it at all. I called Craig to find out if he knew and he didn't because he was dropping off Brandon at the church preschool. The school was in an uproar that day. Parents were coming all day long to pick up their kids. The kids were scared and in shock. So were the teachers. We had a ton of safety emails coming thru that day of what to do and what not to do. What to say and what not to say. Needless to say our lesson was postponed that day and we all ended up having a civics lesson. I was scared for my own kids too. What do you tell little one's about such behavior? As the days went on that week we were still dealing with the aftermath of the horror of what the kids saw and heard.
So what were you doing?
4 comments:
I was at home. I very rarely turn the TV on in the AM. The phone rang and it was my Japanese daughter (our exchange student from 1982) who now is married and lives in the East Village. She was working as a temp midtown Manhattan. She was in hysterics and said that a plane had just hit the WTC. She had worked as a temp at the WTC at Fugi Bank up until two weeks before 9/11. Fugi Bank was on the floors where the plane hit. She knew many people there. I talked to her husband later in the day and he had heard the first plane hit, went up on their roof and saw the second plane hit. After her call I went upstairs to wake my husband and found him sitting on the bed watching it unfold on TV. We saw the 2nd plane hit. I don't remember being scared that day. I guess I was too much in shock. But I couldn't drag myself away from the TV the rest of the day. Later in the day we got through to Rock and Juri on the phone. They asked us to call his family to tell them they were ok because phone service was out in NYC. Obviously his family was very relieved to hear from us. Her family lives in Japan and she finally got through to them. I will never forget exactly where I was when that phone rang and how she sounded when I picked it up.
Thanks for sharing! I posted something very similar on our site yesterday.
Have a great weekend!
Oh the memories are so vivid. I was in my bedroom trying to figure out what was going on as I saw the second airplane hit the second tower. God have mercy it was a horrible day in American history.
Blessings,
Linda
I have vivid memories of that day too.
You did have a big baby- but you are so right. It is the baby that counts. Not how they got here. Thanks for sharing! : )
Post a Comment