Friday, August 15, 2008

Back to School and Tropical Storms!


Wow, it's hard to believe that school is beginning on Monday! We've spent the week finishing getting ready. I took the kids to the stores on Monday to get a few items that they needed and exchange some shorts that I bought online. This year our county is going to uniforms so I've spent more money on school clothes this year then any other year! But they are all set and ready to go bright and early Monday!
On Wednesday and Thursday we went to the schools and met their teachers. And then today we spent the afternoon putting together their bookbags. You know I had to laugh when I really looked at the shopping list this year. I couldn't believe what was on the lists. Mind you I used to be a teacher and had to write up the shopping lists myself, but I never ever asked for items like I've seen on the lists this year. One list had 5 reams of copy paper...........ok so let's do the math. If there are 15 kids in the class (which I know is a low number) multiplied by 5 each, that would be 75 reams of paper! Now each ream has 500 sheets, so that would be 37,500 sheets of paper!
Another item on the list that amused me was pencils. One listed 10 dozen pencils.........sharpened! OK, that would be 120 pencils per child, multiply by the same 15 children mentioned above and that is 1800 pencils!
Oh I could go on and on. Let's just say that my kids are not bringing in this many items. I like to keep my supplies here and divide them out and replenish as needed.
Tomorrow we head out bright and early for pictures of the kids in their football and cheer outfits!

It looks like we are going to have a little weather issue next week as well. For our family it's a catch 22. We need the storms because it helps with our business. We just don't like damage to people's homes and their lives.
Well, off to get everyone ready for tomorrow! Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I hope your kids have a wonderful day Monday at school. Say a prayer for me too... first days are hard for everyone (teachers included!!) : ) Have a good weekend!

Heidi Zawisza said...

That school supply list is out of control!! Sounds like they are trying to get the students to supply the SCHOOL with their needs!! YIKES! I wouldn't send all of it either!! Ha! Some people would probably not even do the math, and just do as they were told, and buy the stuff!!