Thursday, February 21, 2008

What's for dinner tonight?

I was watching Racheal Ray this morning while checking emails and postal mail and got inspired to do some cooking! If you know me, easy peasy is what I like when it comes to cooking and baking. So I made a full meal that to my surprise took less than an hour to make!

First I made a chicken in the microwave! Yep, the microwave! I went to a Pampered Chef show a few months back and the consultant made a yummo chicken in the microwave. I was shocked and surprised because usually cooking chicken in the microwave would scare me. I am all about making sure no one gets sick from undercooked chicken and pork! I'm very OCD about cleaning my counters, cookware, and hands when preparing it too. So I made this chicken right after the show and it was pretty decent. So I made it again for dinner. Here's the recipe:

30 minute chicken
1 whole chicken (3-4 pounds)
1 tables spoon EVOO (extra virigin olive oil)
Seasoning mixture-
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground flax meal (I add this to everything b/c of it's dietary goodness)

Combine seasoning mixture. Set aside.

Lightly spray deep covered baker with EVOO. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken cavity. Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Trim excess fat off. Baste the chicken with EVOO. Completely coat the chicken with the seasoning mixture. Place chicken, breast side up, in baker. Microwave, uncovered, for 30 minutes (pocket thermometer needs to register 165F in thickest part of breast and juices run clear). Remove from microwave and cover with lid. Let rest for 10 minutes.

Then I also served some baked mac-n-cheese! Craig has always asked about making this but I have never found a recipe that fit my tastes (ie. easy recipe!). I found one online and decided to try it. It was super easy to make but did use up a couple of pots/pans which I'm not a fan of doing. But it was yummy, which is all that matters!

Baked Mac-n-cheese
1 16-oz box of elbow macaroni
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dry ground mustard
1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt (can use regular salt too)
5 cups milk
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (easier to use 2 bags of 2 cups each for recipe)
1/4 teaspoon flax meal (see above note)

Cook pasta according to box directions. Preheat oven to 375F. In large saucepan, over medium heat, melt margarine. Stir in flour, mustard, and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Coak and stir until mixture thickens slightly and bubbles. Remove from heat and add 2 cups of cheese, stir until melted. In large bowl, combine sauce with pasta. Spoon mixture into a greased 13x9 baking dish. Top with remaining 2 cups of cheese. Bake for 4o minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes. (makes 8-10 servings so you'll have leftovers!)

Then I steamed some fresh green beans and added butter, EVOO, and a hint of bacon pieces.

For dessert, I saw a recipe over at Kelly's blog that I wanted to try. These cupcakes were yummy! It was also super easy to make and would be a great treat for any event!

My husband and kids were so excited about the dinner fare. The kids loved the chocolate cupcakes with the surprise treats inside. And Craig loved the mac-n-cheese and the cupcakes too. Usually I make white or yellow cupcakes because I'm not a fan of chocolate cake. So this was all for them!

So that's what's for dinner tonight. What's for dinner at your place?

4 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Jennifer...our dinner last night was almost exactly like yours. I roasted a whole chicken (will have to try the microwave next time) and had green beans with it. The difference is that I made mashed potatoes instead of mac and cheese...and my family doesn't get dessert very often. Kelly's cupcakes did look like something my family would enjoy though! I'll have to try them soon.

I don't generally cook with flax, but I think that's a great idea. It is SO good for you.

Here is a recipe for flaxseed muffins...
http://mersrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/10/flaxseed-muffins.html
I make them probably once a week, and they're delicious. And very healthy. My kids love them!

Enjoy your day! What are you making for dinner tonight???

:)

The Hickmans said...

Yummmy!! I'll have to try those- looks delicious. :)

Jessica said...

Huh. I didn't know you could do chicken safely in the microwave either. The mac and cheese looks good!

Kelly said...

Your dinner looks really good! I'm glad you tried the cupcakes! I have a friend who made them with yellow cake and she said they were good that way too!
The Mac & cheese looks really good!